Thursday, August 9, 2012

East of the Rockies Food Favorites!

As we approach the end of the 2012 Olympic Games, we say good-bye to some of our favorite athletes, sports commentators and the London Bridge. But the fun doesn't have to end with the Olympics. I'm just getting started on our recipe tour through the different regions of America.

And let me tell you, there is some good food to be tasted out there, in all those delicious states! Today finds us east of the Rocky Mountains and knee deep in some interesting foods.

We'll start the tour with North Dakota where I found something known as "Knoeplah" (pronounced "neff-la"). The name freaked me out until I discovered it's a dumpling! The name  comes from the German word Knöpfle meaning "little knob / button." The traditional soup is thick, made with knoeplah, chicken broth and potatoes - but can also be prepared as vegan.

Chicken & Dumplings
It's on to South Dakota and I discovered Chislic (from the Russian word shashlik), a cubed meat that is marinated and grilled or deep fried. In different parts of South Dakota (which is the only place that makes it), the meat may be beef, liver, lamb, or venison and cooked or served with garlic salt, barbecue sauce, Tabasco, or some other family marinade, soda crackers, and beer. It sounds mouth-watering!

Beef Burgundy
Heading over to Wyoming, home of the buffalo burger, I tried to find a picture and recipe for preparing and serving real live buffalo meat. Alas, I was unsuccessful. I can only tell you that I myself have enjoyed buffalo burgers on several occasions (my brother-in-law is a huge fan of the stuff) and I am happy to report that buffalo burgers are delicious. I highly encourage you to try them sometime. Until then...how about Red Velvet cupcakes?

Red Velvet Cupcakes
South to Colorado we go - and into Denver Broncos territory, oh yes and the ever popular Denver omelette. Again, as I had no pictures of an actual Denver omelette, I settled for the next best thing. Give our All-in-one-quiche a try. It's got similar innards to the omelette. They are probably distant cousins.

All In One Quiche
Last but not least we'll check in with New Mexico, where they are quite famous for...chiles! Chiles are a wonderfully versatile little super food and my husband's favorite pepper. Chiles can be used in all sorts of Mexican food dishes and recipes, canning your own salsa and I've even tried chile jelly (served with crackers and cream cheese)! Add a few chiles to your next fiesta and pop some taste buds!

Lime Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas
I hope you have enjoyed your foodie tour to our featured states today! Come tour with us again. Next week we are headed to the plains and the Midwest. Connect with us on Facebook to share your favorite state food or visit Alicia's Recipes for more yummy free recipes!


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...