Thursday, August 2, 2012

Pacific & Southwest Regional Foods


Now that the 2012 Olympic Games are in full swing, you've probably settled on a favorite event and/or a favorite athlete, especially if they share your home state (I think it's fun to cheer for co-state-natives).

Over the next few weeks I thought it would be fun to feature a recipe from each state. I started the series off with 4 Northwest Regional Favorites and now it's on to the Southwest and Pacific states to see what yummies we can discover.

Strawberry Filled Crepes
Yes, I realize California is known for its grapes, but since I couldn't find a feature worthy grape recipe, I settled for Strawberry Filled Crepes. Close right? Technically, a strawberry is small and round and juicy, just like a grape - so can't we consider them cousins or something? Anyway, enjoy.

Smothered Barbecue Chicken
During my research into popular foods from each state, I was surprised to learn that Nevada's most popular food is...The Buffet. Really? The Buffet? Is that on the food pyramid? Well, anyway who am I to argue with Google, so I found a recipe I thought might be fun on a buffet, our Smothered Barbecue Chicken!

Crock Pot Tacos
My search for an authentic Arizona Fry Bread recipe left me empty handed. But not to worry! I found this Crockpot Taco recipe instead and figured New Mexico wouldn't mind letting Arizona boast this one, at least  not here on the blog. I love crock pot recipes!

Crockpot Sticky Chicken
The state of Utah, home to the 2002 Winter Olympic Games and proud sponsor of Green Jello, was a bit of a puzzle. When I think of featured foods from each state, I think of foods found in nature in some form or other. Green Jello? Whatever floats your boat! As an alternate, because sometimes that happens in the food Olympics, I thought you would enjoy our Crockpot Sticky Chicken.


Salmon Cakes
Lest we forget our friend way up north, Alaska is one of those mysterious states known for its seafood, specifically King Lobster, but again, not having a great picture of a Lobster to share...I opted for the Salmon Cakes, which are one of my personal favorites and a winner at my house!

Pineapple Upside-down Cake
And last but not least, "the Aloha state" is a foodie's paradise. Hawaii's primary notorious food is the pineapple and for that we say thank you! I found this delicious looking Pineapple Upside-down Cake in our archives and salivated. Enjoy!

Enjoy the 2012 Olympic Games and share your favorite state food with us on Facebook. Visit Alicia's Recipes for all kinds of fun foodie finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...